In two articles in the German project magazine I describe why Scrum needs a good framework in organizations and how this framework has to be designed so that Scrum is really effective in the interests of the inventors. The second part of the article then deals with the details of how this can actually work.
Scrumframe - this is how PRINCE2 and Scrum become a dream team. Part 1: Why you should combine PRINCE2 and Scrum
Project magazine, March 10th, 2021, www.projektmagazin.de/artikel/scrumframe-scrum-prince2-perfekte-ergaenzung
Would you like to benefit from the special dynamics of Scrum when developing new products and integrate it into the company? SCRUMFRAME gives Scrum a framework with PRINCE2! On the one hand, this makes the work of the Scrum teams transparent and controllable for the organization and, on the other hand, ensures the teams their freedom.
- Hybrid projects face special challenges. The biggest: Such projects have two operating systems, which often do not harmonize with each other. The most widely used Scrum framework is often the victim here: Scrum is bent to fit the waterfall and thus loses its special dynamism.
- Based on real implementations in different organizations, this article first describes the core of Scrum and the resulting problems in practical embedding. The examples show that Scrum does not provide any information on how Scrum teams can avoid overregulation because the framework does not take care of the organization.
- The article then describes the solutions that the PRINCE2® concept offers for this. The aim of the Scrumframe developed by the author is to maintain the dynamics of the Scrum Teams and at the same time that the organization can control the framework and conditions for these teams.
- In addition, the author explains why none of the other common project management approaches achieves similar, and why PRINCE2 Agile® is not an alternative for him.
- In the second and final part of the article, the model of Scrumframe is described using an example and along the seven topics of PRINCE2, because these cover the fundamental disciplines of project management.
Scrumframe - this is how PRINCE2 and Scrum become a dream team. Part 2: This is how the combination works based on the PRINCE2 topics
Project magazine, March 24th, 2021, www.projektmagazin.de/artikel/scrumframe-scrum-prince2-themen
In the first part of this article I explained why Scrum needs a framework and why PRINCE2 is ideal for it. In this second and final part of the article, I outline the combination of Scrum and PRINCE2 based on the seven topics of the latter. In doing so, I repeatedly refer to the project example presented below.
- The model of Scrumframe for the combination of Scrum and PRINCE2 is described along the seven topics of PRINCE2, because these cover the fundamental disciplines of project management. A hybrid project is used as an example.
- First, the combination is examined in detail with the basic topics of organization, business case and plans. This is followed by the topics of risk, quality, changes and progress. It concludes with a chapter on the management phases and processes.
- PRINCE2 provides the organization with the framework to use Scrum. Its set of rules, working methods and processes apply to the PRINCE2 levels of control, management and delivery. From the team manager - the internal relationship of the delivery level - the cooperation is regulated according to Scrum. The team manager is the crucial interface and the role is being redesigned as the delivery manager.
- Since the topic of business cases is excluded from Scrum, PRINCE2 closes a gap that is important from a company perspective with its procedural model. In addition, the business case provides for tolerances that the Scrum Team needs for its work. This is feasible because the concepts of benefits (PRINCE2) and value (Scrum) are very similar.
- In the PRINCE2 domain, Scrumframe uses both the project plan and the phase plan that are common there. The team plan is transformed into a "delivery plan". In the domain of Scrum (delivery level), Scrumframe uses the artifacts of Scrum. Planning in the Scrum frame comprises a total of six steps.
- Since Scrum only considers risks implicitly at the team level, the PRINCE2 approach with its foresight stabilizes not only the individual team, but also the entire project.
- In order for the progress of the product development to stay in sync with the work package and delivery plan, the product owner and delivery manager must coordinate regularly. Together they also ensure that changes remain within the specified tolerances.
- Scrumframe adopts the principle of "controlling via management phases" from PRINCE2 and thus also the division and tasks of the individual management phases. The seven processes defined by PRINCE2 for the three management levels are also adopted. It only intervenes in the process of "managing product delivery", which in Scrumframe affects the delivery manager.