The PRINCE2 update saw a new edition of the PRINCE2 manual, plus updated training materials and Foundation and Practitioner examinations. These have been launched in mid-2017. Together, these form PRINCE2 2017 and represent the first major update to PRINCE2 since 2009.
What are the main changes to PRINCE2?
Gererally speaking this update does not change any of the fundamentals of the method – PRINCE2’s overall structure of seven principles, themes and processes remains unchanged. But the emphasis and treatments within these have shifted.
Now there is much more room for the discipline of tailoring to the environment. Two chapters of the manual discuss the possibilities of scaling the methodology as well giving hints and examples on how projects may work well in relation with programmes, portfolios or with agile approaches. Overall we like the direction of change as they will be useful in practice.
A bief overview of the main changes:
- more focus on the principles that underpin PRINCE2;
- only a few changes in processes;
- some changes in the teminology, eg. "management approaches" instead of "management strategies" and documents;
- more focus on the core of project management, eg. the biggest part of Configuration Management has been removed (as there is ITIL);
- the restructuring of the ‘Themes’ guidance to accommodate specific examples of tailoring and to highlight the minimal requirements;
- tailoring PRINCE2 to the needs of organizations and project environments as there might be relations to programmes, portfolios or agile methods;
- the practical application of the method and guidance, with numerous examples, hints and tips.
What does the update mean for you and your qualifications?
During the rest of the year 2017 it will be possible to acquire your qualification in both versions, 2009 and 2017. From the beginning of 2018 only the new, 2017 UPDATE, version is valid. There still will be the levels of FOUNDATION and PRACTITIONER, the mayor changes concern the validity of the practitioner certificate:
- The practitioner level will only be valid for 3 years instead of 5.
- There will not be a re-registration any more. You will have the choice to extend the validity by another full or to actively participate in the PRINCE2 Membership of AXELOS.
- The same rules apply if you already are a qualified PRINCE2 Practitioner. This qualification will be valid for the initial 5-years period. During this period you may either re-sit the new Practitioner or you participate in the PRINCE2 Membership.